Monday, November 25, 2013

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving with (vomit-fortified) Love

Monday morning.

You know what kind of week it's going to be like when you're first contact with Monday sounds like this:

"Mommy, David threw up on me."

Oh, but how timely this Monday's Murphy's Law. Six years ago, I wrote a post on a former blog - Kim's Muse and Views, which I've neglected to delete for the simple fact that I love the little quote widget that I can't seem to transfer over to my Red Shoes blog, so leave it up even though I rarely look at it. But now that I look at it, it's got some other lovely little gems, too - ah, but I digress...

This blog post was entitled Kim's Thanksgiving Puke Rant. Now this post has been on my mind recently and the karmic coincidence has not gone unnoticed, so I'm re-posting it here for your reading pleasure.

Kim's Thanksgiving Puke Rant

We have had a bout of stomach flu go through our house this week. I have to be thankful in that, other than me (being retchedly ill), I've only had to tally up two pukes; not bad in a family of 5. (11/25/13 Update: There are now six people in our family!)
So during the wee hours of the night, while I was picking food chunks off the sheets and scrubbing the mattress, I started to mentally compose a little plea which I'm sending to you! (11/25/13 Update: Same scene, but this morning instead.)
It takes a lot of love to clean up someone else's puke. A lot of love. Before having children, my only contact with other people's puke was to gladly sidestep around it. Now that I am a mother, it never ceases to amaze me the lengths I will go to prevent the puke from landing on any absorbing surface; I will even catch the puke if it means saving the carpet (which I have done). Maybe it's not maternal love, but material love, that is to say, I love the carpet. In any case, that's a lotta love. (11/25/13 Update: This still holds true. This love is timeless
, people.)
I know Canada had Thanksgiving last month but tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the U.S. If you haven't already done so, please, on my behalf, go right now to your loved ones - be it your mom, dad, best friend, stranger in the alley - whoever has been your puke cleaner-upper and say THANK YOU! Believe me, there is no other love like vomit-fortified love. (11/25/13 Update: Thanksgiving is in three days. But the sentiment is the same, no?)
Oh, and for you writers out there: If you are feeling stuck with your characters, have one of them vomit. Surely it will bring the band together. (11/25/13 Update: I wrote this during my first Nanowrimo attempt, Elevator Girl, which finally comes out in Spring 2014.)
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!



No comments:

Post a Comment